Don’t forget you must carry the following 7 essential items in your car when driving in Spain in 2021.
- Passport or ID Card
- Driving Licence
- Insurance Certificate
- Original registration document (permiso de circulación)
- Ficha Tecnica/itv (Mot Certificate)
- Two warning triangles
- Reflective Jacket(s) – for anyone who gets out of the car on a main road.
If you are driving a UK vehicle, there are three extra requirements.
- A ‘green card’ certificate for your insurance – this translates your certificate and proves you have cover abroad
- You must put a ‘GB’ sticker on the back of the car.
- You must fit headlight deflectors to your car, to stop your lights dazzling oncoming drivers
The first two extra requirements became law when the UK left the EU on December 31st 2020.
So, for a UK registered vehicle to drive legally in Spain, please make sure you carry the 7 essential items listed here, plus the extra three things above.
If you don’t want to carry your passport around with you all the time – I know I don’t – you can get away with having a notorised copy in the car. Just go to the Notario nearest to you and they will copy your passport for a fee of around €10. As is normal, you’ll probably have to go back to collect the copy the next day, unless you’re very lucky 🙂
If you’ve enjoyed this article on 7 Essential items you Must Carry when driving in Spain in 2021 you may enjoy